Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Sunday, December 20, 2020

Stovetop: Canned Mushrooms and Mixed Vegetable Soup

I love the Star Trek Cookbook by Ethan Phillips (Neelix from Star Trek Voyager) and William J. Birnes. I have bookmarked several recipes, this is one, Jeri Ryan's Wild Mushroom Soup. But, as you will see, my recipe does not resemble the original recipe.
 
Where I live, many powdered spices absorb moisture and harden. I decided to try and use up my hardened onion and garlic powders in this recipe. I used a bit too much. But, the end result was tasty, not a knock your socks off flavor, but tasty.
 
Most of the time, I never have all the ingredients recipes call for, so, I am usually in “Use What You Have” mode.
 
In this recipe, I did not have fresh mushrooms or potatoes, so I used canned mushrooms and canned mixed vegetables.
I did not add specific measurements, I just eye-balled it.
 
 
Canned Mushrooms and Mixed Vegetable Soup
(Inspired by: Star Trek Cookbook, Jeri Ryan’s Wild Mushroom Soup p30)
 

 
Ingredients:
 
Olive oil
Garlic powder
Onion powder
1-2 Drops Hot sauce
1 14oz Can of Sliced Mushrooms, drained & rinsed
Water
1 vegetable or chicken bouillon cube
1 14oz Can of mixed diced vegetables, drained & rinsed


Process:
 
Note: my skillet is small, a larger skillet would have been better or I could have cooked the mushrooms in the pot, first.

In a skillet, add olive oil, garlic and onion powders, and hot sauce.
Cook at medium heat, stir and cook until ingredients are thoroughly mixed and heated.
Add mushrooms.
Add oil as needed.
Stir and cook ingredients until thoroughly mixed and heated.

In a pot, add 2-6 cups of water.
Add bouillon cube.
Add vegetables.
Add mushroom mixture.
Stir well.
Bring to a boil.
Simmer 20 minutes.

Serve with crackers.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.