Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Saturday, December 5, 2020

Totally Mexican Tequila Highball

It's interesting, in our lives, we are introduced to many flavors, tastes, experiences, and sights, yet sometimes, at first, we reject some of these because we think we don't like them, or they do not fit into our lifestyle. Then, at some point, we are reintroduced to these experiences and more and we have a different reaction, we like them.

I say this regarding Tamarind. When I first tasted Tamarindo juice, I thought it was a bit sour. But, in one of my grocery trips, I bought some Tamarindo juice concentrate to keep in stock for others.

I have had that Tamarindo juice for a long time. I gave away half of it and kept the rest. So, as I was cleaning the kitchen, I found the container of remaining Tamarindo juice sitting on top of a cabinet. I thought, let's get rid of this. But, before I made the decision, I decided to taste it again. Hmmm, unique flavor, a bit sweet. Commercial Tamarindo juice is pre-sweetened.

Anyway, I fly to the internet and search for Tamarindo juice recipes. Along the way, I learned a lot about Tamarind, the plant and the seeds. The tree is lovely. The seed pods fascinating and beautiful in their own way. Plus, Tamarind seeds are used in a variety of ways and often as a medicinal.
 
In Mexico, one of the things I love is that, if possible, almost every home has a garden with various fruit trees, and some have chickens. For me, that is heaven. As you walk through various colonias, besides all the trees and flowers, you can tell by some of the fallen fruit or seeds what type of fruit trees people have in their garden. Some have Tamarind trees.

As I continued my search, I found this cocktail using Tequilla and Tamarindo juice. Of course, I did not have all the ingredients listed, so I adapted the recipe and made a totally Mexican Tequilla Cocktail.

 
Totally Mexican Tequila Highball
 
 
Ingredients:
 
Highball glass
Ice cubes
1 1/2 - 2 oz of Tequila reposando
1 oz Tamarindo juice concentrate
1 oz Water (optional)
A Dollop of Yucatán honey or sugar
2-3 oz Carbonated water or Ginger Ale
 
 
Process:
 
Add ice cubes to cocktail glass.
Add Tequilla.
Add Tamarindo juice concentrate.
Add water if desired.
Add honey or sugar.
Add Carbonated water or Ginger Ale
Stir to mix well.
Note: honey does not mix well but does give the cocktail a sweet flavor.


References:

Tequilla

Tamarind
 

 


Tamarindo (Drink)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.