Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Microwave: Mug O'Black Bean Chocolate Cake

In a search for black bean recipes, I was surprised to find recipes for Black Bean Chocolate Cake, including a mug version.

As usual, I adapted the mug recipe to what I had on hand. Also, the original recipe was for two mug cakes. I created a one cake mug version.
 
I actually used black beans I had just cooked. I used a different method than the one noted on SpruceEats (see Resources below).
 
I put about a half of cup of dry black beans (rinsed) into a container and filled the container with water and let the beans soak for several hours. Then, I transferred the beans to a pot and added about 1 1/2 cups of water. I brought the beans to a boil then lowered the temperature to a simmer and let the beans simmer for about an hour or more. When I checked the beans, they were soft. I turned off the beans but let the covered pot sit on the counter to cool down before I put the beans into a jar and then into the frig.

 
 
Microwave: Mug O’Black Bean Chocolate Cake


Ingredients:

1/4 Cup Black beans, cooked and drained
1 TBspn Flour
1 TBspn Cocoa powder
1 TBspn Honey
1 TBspn DIY milk (milk made with lactose-free dry milk)
1 Tspn Vanilla flavoring
1 Egg
1/4 Tspn Baking powder
Topping: Honey
Suggested extra toppings: almond slivers, chocolate syrup
 
 

Process:

Add beans to mug.
Use a fork to mash the beans. Stir and mash until all the beans are mashed.
Add flour and cocoa powder.
Stir and mix ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
Add honey, milk and vanilla.
Stir ingredients thoroughly.
Add egg and baking powder.
Whip and stir ingredients thoroughly.
Put mug in microwave, cover with a saucer.
Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
Tip mug over and use a fork to help the cake slide onto the plate.
Add topping(s).

 
I was surprised, this turned out well. It tastes like chocolate cake with a subtle flavor of the black beans.
 

Resources:
 
Spruce Eats
How to Cook Black Beans

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.