Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Sunday, October 4, 2020

Using Pasta Water and Vegetable Water in Soups

While I do not have a large frig, I like my frig. But, I can’t save everything. Already, I have bottles and containers of stale beer, pickle juice, tea, coconut creme, sesame creme, lime juice concentrate, cranberry and other juices, so I am tight for space, so I do not often save my pasta water or vegetable water.

But, recently, I made a batch of pasta and saved the pasta water.

I had just cooked a whole patti pan squash in a pot of water and had saved the vegetable water.

After making the pasta, I decided to use the pasta water and squash water to make chicken broth.
 
I did not include quantities here because I just used what I had, about 1-3 cups of each.


Using Pasta Water and Vegetable Water in Soups
 
 
Ingredients:
 
Pasta water
Vegetable water
Onion flakes
Garlic powder
Ground black pepper
1 chicken bouillon cube
Extra water if needed
 
 
Process:

Add a dollop of vegetable water to a pot.
Add spices and bouillon cube.
Stir to mix well.
Heat on medium-high for a few minutes while stirring.
Add extra vegetable water, if needed.
Add pasta water.
Add remaining vegetable water.
Add extra water if needed.
Stir.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer.
Simmer for about 5 minutes.
Remove.
Divide broth into individual serving freezer containers.

Hours later, I wanted to see how the broth tasted.

So, I emptied one serving into a large bowl and added about 2 TBspns of diced leftover chicken.

I covered the bowl and microwaved it for 4 minutes on high. (Microwave for 2-3 minutes if broth is not frozen.)

Be careful when removing bowl from microwave, the soup will be very hot.

I was pleasantly surprised, the soup had a smooth tasty flavor.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.