Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Getting Back to my Tightwad Roots

Time to get back to my Tightwad Gazette roots.

I have drifted away from making choices to save money.

A core Tightwad Gazette (TWG) method for saving money when shopping for groceries is to buy items for less by choosing substitutes for expensive items, by buying items on sale including buying extras for the pantry, and by being creative. Saving pesos add up.

On a recent trip to a local grocery store, I picked up a few items but I tried to make TWG choices.



Vegetable Oil

I am going to try switching from olive oil to canola oil because olive oil is expensive.

Olive oil, 750ml $115.00
.153 ml

Canola oil, 450ml $15.11
.033 ml


Savings: $0.12ml


Dry milk
 

Besides having dry milk for back up, I also use it to make liters of milk for everyday use.

1 360g Dry Milk pkg (deslactosado light) sale price $39.86
makes 2880ml, 1 Liter = 1000mL, package makes about 3 liters

1 liter of milk (deslactosado) approx. $18.00


1 liter dry mix = $13.29


Savings: $4.71


Powdered drink mixes

I had been drifting towards drinking fruit juices straight rather than as fruit coolers.

While I think fruit juices are healthier, an occasional powdered beverage is ok for me.

Common powdered drink mix flavors are:

Té Helado, Limón, Manzana, Coco, Mango, Fresa, Durazno, Uva, Arandana, Tamarindo, Piña Colado, Horchata, Jamaica, Naranja, Sandia, Piña, Guayaba, Mandarina, Melón, Guanabana

Unusual flavor: Áloe


My method for using a packet of powdered drink mix is to make a concentrate. Then, I use the concentrate to make a glass at a time.




1 pkg prices range from $3.35 - 4.10, 1 pkg makes 2 Liters liquid

In general, 1 liter of fruit juices range from $10.00 - 20.00

1 liter powdered beverage = $3.72 / 2 = $1.86


1 liter of fruit juice = an average price of $15.00

Savings: $13.14

I also plan to use the concentrates as flavoring in various recipes.


Sponges

1 pkg of 2 $11.00


I cut the sponges in half = 4 sponges.


Savings: $11.00

While comparing 2 large sponges with 4 small sponges is not an equal comparison, the cut sponges last just as long as the large sponges.


It was the TWG that spurred me to learn how to make meals at home for work lunches and more to save money.

While my original RKFNC cookbook contained several of the recipes I developed trying to follow TWG ideas and advice, I continue to try and expand my recipe repertoire.

Some other methods to save money available to most people:

Buy used clothes, books, kitchen utensils, furniture and more at thrift stores and yard sales.

Most of my clothes and books were purchased from thrift stores but here in MX, I have a harder time finding thrift stores. There are weekly flea markets in various locations and there are used furniture stores.

But, because it has been difficult to find what I need at these venues, like clothes, I priced clothes at various outlets. I found one where almost every item of clothing was under $50 pesos. I got several shirts and pants, and mix and match outfits.

Also, I found the best place to get cancletas (flip flops), at a low price.

But, it is funny, no matter what I purchase an item for, someone always says, “I got one cheaper than that.”


See post: 25 Small Ways to Save Money in Mexico, for more TWG ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.