Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Thursday, August 30, 2018

Ria's DIY Muesli

Below is a recipe for Homemade Granola from The Tightwad Gazette. While I did not make the granola, it gave me the idea to make a DIY Muesli. That is one of the things I like about the Tightwad Gazette, one idea can stimulate other frugal ideas.

The Tightwad Gazette p27
Homemade Granola


Ingredients:

3/4 C brown sugar
1/3 C vegetable oil
1/3 honey
5 C oatmeal
1/2 C raisins*
1/2 C dry milk
3/4 Tspn cinnamon
a pinch of salt


Process:

Mix sugar, oil and honey in a pot.
Heat until sugar dissolved.
Combine dry ingredients in a separate cake pan.
Pour sugar mixture over dry mixture. Mix well.
Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.

Let cool in pan.
Store in an airtight container.

Optional: add nuts, wheat germ, coconut, dates, etc.

*Add raisins after cooking.



Ria's DIY Muesli

I had some leftover bran cereal and decided to make a Muesli.

While the definition of Muesli is a breakfast cereal of Swiss origin consisting of rolled oats, nuts, and fruit (Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/muesli), I decided to Use What I have on hand to make a breakfast cereal mix similar to Muesli.


Ingredients:

Leftover bran cereal
Oatmeal
Nuts, crushed
Raisins
Dry blueberries
Almond slivers


Process:

Using a jar, I filled it with the leftover bran cereal, then added 1 to 2 TBspns of the remaining ingredients, raisins, dried blueberries, nuts, and almond slivers.

Then I shook the jar to mix the contents.



After pouring a serving of the cereal mix into a bowl, I topped it with 1/2 TBspn of Chia seeds and some banana slices. I am not sure if I want to add the Chia seeds to the jar of cereal mix.



Options: top with fresh fruit like sliced banana, apple or other fruits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.