Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Saturday, January 23, 2021

Refrigerator: Mango Breakfast Bircher

It was the title of Jack Monroe's recipe, Mandrin Breakfast Bircher, that grabbed my attention. What’s a bircher?

Then, I looked at the ingredients and processes and asked myself, "Do I have the ingredients? Can I make it?"

I had everything but the mandarin oranges but I am on a mango kick, at the moment, so using canned mango slices seemed an ideal substitution!

 
 
Ingredients:

Oats
Yogurt, plain
Milk (dry milk mix or other)
Fresh or canned mango, drained, sliced
Honey (Optional)
Nuts, crushed (Optional)
Note: Use any fruit you desire.
 
 
Process:
 
In a small bowl with a cover, add a thick layer of oats.
Pour in 2 oz or more yogurt.
Pour in 2 oz or more milk.
Liquids should cover oats and a bit more. Oats will soak up the liquids overnight.
Stir ingredients thoroughly.
Cover bowl and store in refrigerator overnight.
When are ready to eat, if oats are too dry, add more milk.
Top with fruit slices.
Optional: Add honey or nuts, if desired.
 

Jack makes several oats recipes that are similar like: porridge, overnight oats, and bircher.

Funny thing, I never liked hot "porridge" but I do like Jack's cold oats recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.