Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

DIY: Hasty Pickle Relish

I needed to use the remaining pickles from an aging batch of DIY Quick Pickles. I thought using them in a pickle relish would work.

When I searched for a pickle relish recipe, I was surprised. Most recipes were for sweet pickle relishes and the quantities were huge because the idea was to can the relish.

But, the relish I had in mind was different, was it a dill pickle relish? Search results were similar.

So, I read a few recipes. Most of the recipes included bell peppers, celery seed, mustard seed, dill seed, turmeric, vinegar, sugar, and salt. Plus, most recipes wanted the cucumbers and bell peppers ground up in a blender.

Well, this wasn't going to happen, so I was left to improvise.

Using a recent Cucumber Relish recipe as a guide, I added and deleted a few ingredients.

I choose not to add the vinegar, lots sugar or salt because I was using pickles. Plus, I did not have celery seed, mustard seed, or dill seed. I had Turmeric, but hesitated using it. Maybe another time.
 
 
DIY: Hasty Pickle Relish
(Inspired by: Cucumber Relish, Dining with the Duchess: Making Everyday Meals A Special Occasion by Sarah, The Duchess of York and Weight Watchers, p42)

 

Ingredients:

8 DIY Quick Pickle Spears, sliced and diced
2 TBspns Bell pepper, sliced and diced
2-4 Grinds Black pepper
8 Shakes Onion flakes
1/2 Tspn Sugar
 

Process:

In a medium container with a lid, add the pickles and bell pepper.
Add black pepper, onion flakes, and sugar.
Stir thoroughly to mix ingredients.

I had to test this relish, so I added a few spoonfuls to half a ham and cheese tarta (sandwich). It turned out great!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.