Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Beans on Toast -- In depth

Beans on Toast

I thoroughly enjoy making Toast Toppings recipes.

Somewhere, I caught the phrase "beans on toast." It may have been on my mind since I read Bodega Beans Are the Best Thing You Can Eat When You Are Broke, by Jaime Green (Buzzfeed News)


My first thought when I read Jaime's article, was 'Boy, she hasn't heard of Jack Monroe (https://cookingonabootstrap.com/category/recipes-food/).

Jaime could have had Carrot, Cumin & Kidney Bean Burgers!


Also, when I heard the phrase  "Beans on Toast" somewhere else, I realized it fit into the "Toast Topping" category and decided to give it a try.

The first time I made it, it was like, just white beans on toast. It was ok. I like beans.

Then, I did some research.


Wikipedia
A bit of history about baked beans in the U.K.

 Oh, the tangled relationships of nations and food (see below.)

Then, I found Business Insider's hilarious video about Americans' reactions to "Beans on Toast."

Business Insider


Of course, I had to go to BBC Food for the real "Beans on Toast" recipe.

BBC Food

Essentially, it's warmed up beans from a can, on toast, topped with a sprinkle of "grated, mature cheddar cheese."

While the BBC recipe calls for white bread, I'd switch out the white bread for integral bread or some other multigrain bread.

Plus, maybe there's Heinz baked beans here but I haven't seen them yet. So, I use either Isadora's Frijoles Refritos Peruano (Creamy White Beans) or Frijoles Charros, a spicier 'pork and beans'. (The beans are bayo beans, similar to red beans, and the pork is chorizo.)



http://isadorabeans.com/espanol/productos-isadora/






Also, I would use any cheese available, generally, mozzarella.


Then, I'd top the beans with a sprinkle of ground black pepper, maybe a little basil, lime juice and a bit of Parmesan cheese.

Yum! (opps, forgot the basil, will use it next time.)

And for those interested, I found some information on beans from around the world.

from Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baked_beans#United_Kingdom_and_Ireland


"The beans presently used to make baked beans are all native to South America and were introduced to Europe around 1528."

"According to alternative traditions, sailors brought cassoulet from the south of France or northern France, and the Channel Islands, where bean stews were popular."

"...the term baked beans usually refers to tinned beans in a tomato sauce. They were originally imported from American companies, first sold in the UK in 1886 in the upmarket Fortnum & Mason store in London as an expensive foreign delicacy."

"Frijoles charros, pinto beans cooked with bacon and sometimes tomatoes, are popular in Mexico and the American border states."



Encyclopeadia Britannica
https://www.britannica.com/plant/bean

Bean/Legume
f. Fabaceae
g. Phaseolus
g. Vigna
g. vulgaris - common beans originate from Central and South America:
pole, snap, string, bush, french, haricot or kidney, green beans, anasazi, navy, black, northern, pinto, cannellini

broad/fava are of European origin

P. lunatus/Lima/sieva/Butter, origin Central American

Cicer arietinum/garbanzo/chickpea/

Vigna ungulculata/black-eyed peas/cowpeas

V. radiata/mung bean/greengram

V. angularis/Azuki/Adzuki




In my memory, I am familiar with green beans. Mom made a great green bean casserole. I also remember I had a great fear of Lima beans, but today I love them.


Kidney beans were always in chili, navy beans were always used in navy bean soup, and pork and beans were usually found at picnics or as a side dish or we added cutup frankfurters and warmed up the mixture. Later in life, I began to use northern beans and cannellini beans in recipes.

When I came to Mexico, I began to use Garbanzo beans and black beans in recipes, and would eat frijols charros as a side dish. Then, I tried Peruviano beans and I like them alot for "beans on toast."

#GERD-friendly (Dairy is not recommended but once symptoms have been reduced by diet and prescriptions, a bit of dairy used infrequently may be tolerated.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.