Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

DIY: Flowers and Bangles from Waste Materials

When I look at the items I try to save and/or reuse, I find I saved lots of TP rolls, cans and jars, carryout containers, advertising phamplets, travel magazines, newspapers, milk and juice cartons, and more.

Once this DIY project began, the carry-out containers were great as a places to let a variety items dry in various stages of preparation, all around the salon.

The cans and jars helped sort the bits and pieces, including lots of bread bag twists.

Then, I started to look for projects to use these items.

I am not one of those people who has to look trendy, I tend to favor off-beat ideas. Many of the flower ideas were appealing and I like bangles, so, I will probably be making lots of these items.

I was amused. In just a few days, I went from struggling to make one newspaper roll to feeling like a pro.

Credit: Large newspaper flowers
https://youtu.be/mzmzk_q0LR4

Large Flowers

While the artist uses newspaper and watercolors, I did not have any watercolors, so I choose to use magazine paper, it is a bit heavier and has more color.

Used a TP roll to cut out front and back buttons. Cut bits of colored paper to color “button.” Used a bit of twisted bread bag tie to secure the front and back of the button.

Made 2 flowers and 1/3 of a jar of confetti for future party favor projects.

I really like these flowers! They are large, colorful, and easy to make.

Can you feel my confidence growing?



Bangles 

Credit: Newspaper Bangles
https://youtu.be/Xprt1Bnh5ac

Magazine Paper Bangles
https://youtu.be/G1jqHLYUfgY

After looking at so many DIY videos, I am not surprised, I confused two videos and adapted their ideas into my own creation.

Again, one artist uses decorative "wallpaper" to customize her bangles, and the other artist uses newspaper and ribbon to make bangles.

I choose to use two types of paper, one, magazine paper for the shape, and two, a glossy menu pamphlet from my “memorabilia” collection, from one of my trips, for a ribbon-like decoration.

I used one of my bangles in my search for a jar or container to use to shape the size of the bangle.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.