Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Monday, July 13, 2015

Vegetable Fritters

Working on the next volume of Recipes from the Kitchen of a Frugal Non-Cook cookbook continues to be an amazing journey.

Right now, I am fascinated by how basic ingredients like flour, baking powder, s/p, eggs, and milk and more used in various combinations can be used to make: Pancakes, Crepes and more.

It's shocking I never thought of making Fritters before, I love Fritters. After a little research, I found that you can make Fritters out of a variety of fruits and vegetables like: apples, bananas, and broccoli, cauliflower, corn, and more.

So, I found another way to use my leftover vegetables.

While I have been focusing on making healthy meals, side dishes, desserts, and snacks, this recipe uses a lot of oil to fry the Fritters.

Plus, I found the recipe fraught with dangers.

I wanted to cut up the vegetables small enough to make a nice addition to the batter rather than making it too lumpy. Luckily, my knife was not super sharp, so I did not cut myself as I have in the past.

Then, adding a lot of oil into my small skillet was nerve-racking because, I was one wrong move away from spilling very hot oil and maybe causing a kitchen fire or burning myself These are some of the things you need to think about when you cook.

Vegetable Fritters
Adapted from: http://www.thriftyfun.com/Corn-Fritter-Recipes.html

Batter:
2/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 egg
1/2 cup milk

Fillings:
9 Cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 teaspoons green peppers, diced
1 teaspoon shallot bulb, diced
2 teaspoons canned mushrooms, drained and diced

Other Ingredients:
Olive oil for skillet






Process:

Step One
Dice tomatoes, green peppers, shallot bulb and mushrooms.
Place in a separate bowl.

Step Two
Add dry ingredients into another large bowl.
Crack an egg into a separate bowl to make sure it's a good egg. If so, add to dry mixture.
Stir to mix thoroughly.
Add milk.
Stir and mash batter thoroughly to remove any lumps.
Add diced vegetables.
Stir to distribute vegetables throughout batter.

Step Three
Add about 1-2 inches of oil to skillet.
Heat oil to medium-high.
Once oil appears to sizzle, use a large serving spoon, get a scoop of batter and drop it into the oil.
If there's room, add another scoopful.
Soon, the edges of the fritter will brown.

Caution:
Be careful not to tip the skillet.
Be careful, wear an apron in case the oil splatters.

Using a turner, carefully flip the Fitters, one at a time, to cook on the other side.
They should take about five minutes to cook.
Cook maybe 2 minutes on each side to brown the fritter.

Step Four
Remove to a plate when done.
Use paper towels to absorb excess oil.
Cook more Fritters until batter is exhausted.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.