Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Monday, July 6, 2015

A Simple Salad without Lettuce and DIY Vinaigrette

Here's a quick post about making a salad with the idea of Use What You Have.

I had some leftover (LO) green pepper, scallions, carrots and some pepino (cucumber) slices left over from making a Pepino Cooler (more on that later). I had cherry tomatoes and mozzarella cheese.

So, I diced the green pepper, and a scallion and added them to a bowl.

Then, I grated some carrot over the bowl. I sliced several cherry tomatoes in half and diced the pepino slices. Then I diced some cheese and added all these to the bowl.

Then, I decided to add some spoonfuls from a LO Spanish rice dish

Now, what do I use for a dressing?

I was venturing into making my own dressings. So, I adapted a simple recipe for Vinaigrette dressing from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, UNL Food and now I had a tasty salad.




A Simple Salad without Lettuce

2-3 Pepino or Cucumber slices, diced
5-6 Cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 Scallion, sliced
1/4 Green pepper, diced
1 Slice of Mozzarella cheese, diced
Grated carrot
1-2 tbspns cooked rice
1/4 lime slice, juice

Add pepino/cucumber, tomatoes, scallion, green pepper, cheese, carrot, rice in a bowl.
Squeeze the juice of 1/4 of a lime slice over salad.

DIY Vinaigrette
Adapted from: http://food.unl.edu/fnh/olive-oil-dressing

1 jar with a lid
3-4 parts olive oil
1 part balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
Ground black pepper to taste

Add these items to a jar with a lid. Shake and pour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.