Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Saturday, May 24, 2014

A Balticon Blog 2014

Friday 23, 2014

Late lunch in the Hunt Valley Grill with a Maryland Crab Cake sandwich and Malibu "something", a drink with rum and pink grapefruit drink. All very good.

I was hungry that is why the food came first.

At my first glance at the program, there is Guest of Honor, Brandon Sanderson, along with many Goh's like Ghost of Honor, Robert Jordan, a well-known Sci-fi writer who passed away in 2007. I was surprised by the Artist Guest of Honor, Halo Jankowski, he specializes in Tattoo art.

Ok, what is Balticon, it is the Baltimore Science Fiction Society's annual convention where science fiction fans and others come to appreciate all aspects of science fiction from writing and publishing, to artwork and costume construction, to movies and movie making, to songs and so much more.

Oh, just the highlights that caught my eye and my tastes. They are playing the Wizard of Oz and old Bewitched TV shows as well as Iron Man, Frozen, Gravity, Soylent Green, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and much more.

A lot of new writers are displaying their published books like Grig Larson's Trolley and Space B!tch, and Jhada R. Addams's Devil's Gambit.

Part of the registration package included a huge paperback by GOH Brandon Sanderson's The Way of  Kings.

I like science fiction but I come from the days of Issac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Ursula Le Guin, Spider Robinson, Orson Scott Card, Ray Bradbury, and so many more. I do not recognize a single name here but I hope to get introduced to some new great writers.

Tech issue, the minute I landed at BWI, I have had innumerable tech issues, now in the hotel grill, on the hotel internet, I am getting warning messages "can not save." But, after each message, if I try at least three time, it finally saves. Later, the connection kept dropping. So frustrating.

Just now reviewing the program events and there are many programs I am interested in and many I probably won't make because you just can't do it all.

Sampling of programs....

A Virtual Tour of the Universe
Space Weapons
42 Reasons Why You Should Write for Young Adults

More to come.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.