Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Saturday, December 1, 2018

Toast Toppings inspired by WW Freestyle Cookbook


My sister has had great success with Weight Watchers (WW). She had an extra WW cookbook, so I thought I’d try a few recipes.

What follows are my recipe experiments inspired by or adapted from several Weight Watchers (WW) recipes as toast toppings.

In many recipes, I am trying to achieve several purposes. One, I am trying to adapt recipes to fit a GERD (Gastrointestinal Reflux Disease) menu. Two, I am trying to make low calorie, healthy recipes.


Toast Topping - Chickpea Mixture
(Adapted from: The Essential WW Freestyle Cookbook, p126)

Opps, I see I use Chickpeas, Hummus and Garbanzo Beans interchangeably.


Ingredients:

2 slices of multi-grain bread
1 can chickpeas, drained
2 dashes onion powder
1 capful lime concentrate
2 TB olive oil
1 dash garlic powder
1 dash hot sauce
Topping: Paprika

*GERD-Friendly - using onion or garlic powder sparingly does not seem to affect my acid production like real onions or garlic do.


Process:

In a bowl, mash chickpeas.
Add all ingredients except paprika. Mix thoroughly.
Toast bread on both sides in a dab of olive oil in a skillet.
Spread 1 TB of chickpea mixture over top of each toast slice.
Sprinkle paprika on top.

This was ok. I would have preferred a more creamy mix.

Variation: Going off the above recipe and taking tips from The Essential WW Freestyle Cookbook, Chicken Sandwiches with Avocado “Mayo”, p16. I made the following:

I toasted two pieces of multi-grain bread.

Then layered them with about 1 TB of chickpea mixture from recipe above to which I had added a TB of mayo and mixed thoroughly.

Then I topped that with a layer of my Avocado Mixture, then sprinkled paprika over the top and added a bit of ground black pepper.

With the Avocado Mixture, I was liberal with the parsley and lime juice. The lime juice gave the whole topping a fresh flavor.


Scrambled egg with Spinach, and Avocado Mixture
(Adapted from WW Egg and Avocado Toasts with Smoked Salmon, p161)


 Ingredients:

1 slice of multi-grain bread
Dollop of Olive oil
1 egg
4 TB frozen spinach (there will be leftover spinach)
1 TB Leftover avocado mixture
Paprika
Ground black pepper
Parmesan cheese


Process:

Toast bread in skillet, first. Remove and place on plate.
Scrambled egg with some avocado mixture in skillet. Add more olive oil if needed.
Microwave frozen spinach on high for about 3 minutes.
Top toast with a layer of cooked spinach, about 1 TB
Top spinach with layer of egg/avocado mix.
Sprinkle paprika, ground black pepper and Parmesan cheese over toppings.
Optional: add 1 TB of canned salmon, drained, on top



Toast Topping - Leftover Corn Tortillas and more
(Inspired by WW Edamame Tostadas p116)

I hope this inspires readers to look at their leftovers differently.

Ingredients:

1 Leftover corn tortilla
Dollop of Olive oil
Leftover spinach/avocado mixture
Leftover hummus/mayo mixture
1 egg
Ground black pepper
Parmesan cheese
Salt/macha mixture


Process:

Took a corn tortilla from a doggie bag from previous meal and fried it in a skillet with a bit of olive oil.

Spread a layer of leftover spinach/avocado mix over top of tortilla.

Added a layer of leftover hummus/mayo mixture.

Topped with a poached egg (Business Insider Style, add 3 TB water to a small bowl. Crack egg into bowl. Cover. Microwave on high for 40-45 seconds).

Sprinkled with ground black pepper, Parmesan cheese, and salt/macha mixture.

This was a hardy, tasty mini-meal. I am guessing it cost less than $1US.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.