Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Monday, December 10, 2018

Toast Topping: Pseudo Huevos Florentine

This is a Use What you Have recipe and it is only for the brave who want to try something experimental.


Toast Topping: Pseudo Huevos Florentine

I created this recipe from the idea of Huevos Benedictos, by making a version of Eggs Florentine which is a variation of Eggs Benedict.

To start with most variations of Eggs Benedict recipes call for Hollandaise Sauce, a sauce carefully cooked with egg yolks.

There was no way I was going to attempt to make Hollandaise Sauce. So, I got the idea to use mayonnaise as a base for a sauce. See below.


Ingredients:

1 slice of integral bread or Pan Tostado Integral (a pre-toasted slice of bread)
Olive oil (for toasting bread)
1 Egg
3 TBspns of bottled water
4 TBspns of frozen spinach or mixed vegetables
1 Slice Turkey lunchmeat, cut in quarters (optional)
1 Tspn salsa, canned (optional)
Meridaise Sauce (See recipe below.)
Imitation bacon bits
Ground black pepper
Parmesan cheese

Process:

Normally, I use a skillet to toast bread by adding a dollop of olive oil to a skillet and placing a slice of bread in skillet. Then flip it so both sides gather a little olive oil. Cook and flip until each side is toasted. Set toast on a plate.

But, this time, I used a slice of Pan Tostado Integral, pre-toasted bread.


In a small bowl, add water. Crack egg into water. Place in microwave. Cover. Cook on high for 40 seconds. Use a slotted spoon to remove egg to drain any water off the egg. Set aside.

Place spinach or mixed vegetables in a small bowl. Place in microwave. Cover. Cook on high for 3-4 minutes.

Spread a layer of spinach/vegetables over top of toast.
Place pieces of lunchmeat over vegetable layer (optional).
Top with poached egg.
Add salsa on top of egg (optional).
Pour Meridaise Sauce over egg.
Sprinkle toppings liberally with bacon bits.
Sprinkle with ground black pepper.
Sprinkle a bit of Parmesan cheese


Meridaise Sauce

Mayo
Lime juice concentrate
Vinegar
Plain yogurt
Hot sauce
Ground black pepper

I used a jar of mayonnaise that had about 2-3 TBspns of mayo left in the jar.

I added a capful of lime juice concentrate, a capful of basic vinegar, a dollop of plain yogurt, and a dash or two of hot sauce. Then I added a few grinds of ground black pepper. I put the lid on the jar and shook it vigorously to mix the ingredients thoroughly.


The slice of pre-toasted pan was crunchy. Since I don't use salt, it could have had more flavor, maybe add basil, next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.