Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Monday, December 17, 2018

Hotplate: Jack Monroe's Wine and Mushroom Risotto

Updated 11/19/19

See notes below after recipe.

I appreciate Jack Monroe's views on food and cooking. She wants people on a tight budget to learn how to cook healthy meals.

On their blog, Tin Can Cook (https://cookingonabootstrap.com/), she offers recipes, books and opinions.

Jack is creative and funny. They make cooking fun.


Red Wine and Mushroom Risotto
(Adapted from: https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/10/05/red-wine-mushroom-risotto-recipe/)

Finally, I made a Jack Monroe recipe. But, of course, I had to adapt it to my situation.

Opps, as I began, I forgot to convert the milliliters and grams to ounces, almost threw off the whole recipe. (See: https://www.metric-conversions.org/.)


Ingredients:

A Dab Olive oil
1 Sprinkle Garlic powder
1 Tomato bouillon cube
14 oz Bottled water
1 6.5 oz Can of mushrooms, drained and rinsed in can
1 Cup long grain rice
2 oz Red wine
1 Tspn of each: thyme and basil, dry and crushed between palms
S/p to taste


Process:

Add tomato bouillon cube to water in microwaveable container. Microwave for 1-3 minutes on high to dissolve bouillon cube. Set aside.

Add a dab of oil to skillet.
Add garlic powder.
Add mushrooms.
Add herbs.
Stir thoroughly.
Cook on medium-low temperature.
Cook for a few minutes.

Add rice.
Stir to coat rice in oil.
Cook for a few minutes. Do not burn the rice.

Add wine.
Stir continually.
Cook for a few minutes to let the rice absorb the wine. By this time, the mixture should be at a simmer, a slow, low boil.

Add 1/3 of tomato liquid slowly to mixture.
Continue to stir.
Cook for a few minutes.

Add 1/3 tomato liquid.
Stir and cover.
Cook on simmer

Add 1/3 tomato liquid.
Stir mixture thoroughly.
Cook until most of the liquid is absorbed. Check frequently and stir, again.

Stir each time you check the mixture.


Update 11/19/19

I have revised this recipe. The order of the ingredients has changed, some of the quantities have changed slightly and a few of the instructions have changed.

I made this recipe again, to see if I could make the risotto creamier. Also, I only used Thyme and Parsley, this time.

This time the risotto came out much better, softer and creamier. I think it is because I added the bouillon in smaller quantities and over a longer period of time. Also, I stirred the mixture much more frequently.


More on Jack:

Canned Foods Helped Her Through Poverty
Washington Post

Meet Our Bloggers
The Guardian

#GERD-Friendly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.