I had had difficulty making hard-boiled eggs using my own RKFNC recipe. But, I realized that the original recipe was developed when I had access to a propane gas stove top, now I have an electric stove top.
This particular stove top heat levels seem to vary from the propane gas stove top, so I reverted to my standby hard-boiled egg cooking instructions. They are easy.
Hard-Boiled Eggs Method 2
- Place eggs in a bowl.
- Place bowl on counter to let eggs reach room temperature.
- Fill a pot with water, about 2-3 inches from the top of the pot. Need enough water to cover eggs.
- Add a dollop of vinegar.
- Bring water to a vigorous boil.
- Use a slotted serving spoon and gradually lower one egg at a time into the water. Go slowly, it will help keep the egg from cracking due to the change in temperature.
- Once all the eggs are in the pot.
- Set timer for 10 minutes.
- Remove pot from burner at the end of 10 minutes.
- Remove eggs, one at a time. Place into bowl.
- Run water over eggs to cool them off.
I did not attempt to shell an egg at that time.
Now, I had a bag of spinach I had bought several days before. It seemed urgent to cook the spinach before it went bad. I was nervous. I hadn't cooked fresh spinach in years. I wasn't quite sure how to approach cooking it.
After looking at various recipes. I found one on Simply Recipes.com () that pointed me in the right direction. As usual, I had to adapt the recipe to the appliances and quantities I had. Here's my recipe.
Easy Cooked Spinach
1 clove of garlic, diced
1 package of fresh spinach
1 dollop olive oil
- Add olive oil to large microwave glass casserole dish.
- Add garlic.
- Cook on high, one minute in microwave.
- Rinse spinach in a colander to remove grit.
- No need to shake off all the moisture. It will be useful in the microwave.
- Add spinach to casserole dish and cover.
- Cook 2 minutes on high in microwave.
- Stir spinach.
So, now I had cooked spinach and hard-boiled eggs. The experiment continued.
Hard-Boiled Egg and Spinach Sandwich
1 dollop olive oil
2 slices of multi-grain bread
1 hard-boiled egg
1 serving of cooked spinach
1 teaspoon mayonaise
1/2 teaspoon Basil
- Add olive oil to small skillet.
- Lay one slice of bread in the oil to coat one side.
- Lift bread out with a spatula.
- Add the second slice of bread.
- Place first slice on top with the oiled side up.
- Cook until underside of slice is brown.
- Flip slices, so the top slice can get brown.
- Remove slices.
- Place slices on plate, side by side, toasted sides down.
- Spread mayonaise onto one slice of toast.
- Shell, peel and slice a hard-boiled egg.
- Place slices of egg onto one slice of toast.
- Top egg slices with black pepper, capers and basil.
- Add serving of spinach to other slice of toast.
- Fold two slices of toast together.
- Slice sandwich in half.