Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Friday, June 8, 2018

Apple Slaw

Apple Slaw
(Adapted from: USDA What's Cooking Recipe and http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-apple-cabbage-slaw/)

 Note: I try to give credit to the real cooks I go to for help. While I have collected recipes from various sources over time, some of the recipe sites have changed. For example, the USDA What's Cooking recipe site has been revised. I can no longer find many of the recipes I referred to in the past.


Ingredients:

1/4 cabbage head, sliced thinly (julienned)
1 8oz carrots, julienned
1 medium apple, cored, and sliced thinly
1 Yellow bell pepper, sliced thinly (Any color bell pepper is fine.)
1/2 red onion, thin slices
1/2 large jicama, julienned

To make this recipe GERD-Friendly, do not use the onions. Use the yogurt dressing or other mild dressing.





Process:

After slicing the vegetables. Add ingredients to a large bowl. Mix well.
Make Mustard or Mayo Dressing. See below.






Mustard Dressing
In a separate bowl, mix the following -
1/2 Cup Apple cider vinegar
6 TBspoons olive oil
1/4 Cup sugar
5 dashes of red pepper sauce
2 heaping TBspoons of yellow mustard


Alternative Mayo or Yogurt Dressing
1/3 Cup Mayo or half Mayo, half plain yogurt*
1/3 Cup Sugar
1 TBspoon vinegar or lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste.
Mix well.
*Options: Use low-fat varieties of Mayo and Yogurt.


Pour dressing over slaw mixture. Toss ingredients, mix ingredients to coat the mixture.

I choose the mustard dressing, so with the yellow bell pepper, the slaw looks yellow which is not a bad color. I am glad I choose the mustard dressing. I have concerns about a mayo dressing. It may not keep well over several days.

This recipe made so much slaw, I am going to take some to a neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.