Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Sidetracked, Swamped, Astounded, and Distracted

Ok, the bad news is production of another volume of Recipes from the Kitchen of a Frugal Non-Cook has been suspended. The project got sidetracked by health issues including food allergies.

The good news is El Sueño de Gina (the Spanish version of Gina's Dream) is in progress at the publisher, theWritePlace (.biz). Projected publication date is late November.



Some of the things I learned while writing Gina's Dream is I need alot more practice writing action scenes, plotting, and developing characters. I just could not make my bad guy mean enough to scare anyone. Plus, I learned that while I thought I could write some "steamy" sex scenes, I could not let the public read them, especially my family and friends, just could not do it.

For a brief moment, I thought I could write a "romance", instead, I wrote a cookbook, the first volume of Recipes from the Kitchen of a Frugal Non-Cook.

And I am astounded by the depth and breadth of the marketing efforts needed to promote a book. I have spent almost a year pursuing various marketing efforts for Gina's Dream including: holding a book launch party; trying promotions; writing articles for other websites; tweeting; emailing select "contacts" to introduce Gina's Dream; writing and rewriting press releases; joining various "book/writers" websites; contacting relevant media; going to science-fiction conventions; researching reader demographics; and more. Every day I wake up and realize there are 100 new outlets to contact.

More good news, Mocktails, a short collection of recipes for non-alcoholic cocktails, is with a few beta-readers and will be printed locally by November 2014. But, unless I figure it out, because Mocktails is image-intensive, I will not be able to publish Mocktails on Smashwords.

Also, I found a Mac expert at ComuniMac  and he solved some major problems I was having with my devices. What a relief!

Ok, the good news/bad news is I am swamped with ideas to research and articles to write.

Plus, I am distracted by my need to inject some other kinds of "fun" into my life, liking going to the beach, or a concert, or a play. The good news is I am back to taking walks and exploring more areas of town.

Along the way, I met many wonderful people. My beta readers are fantastic. The authors and writers I met online and in-person inspire me. 
I continue to learn and appreciate something new everyday.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.