Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Thursday, July 29, 2021

Hotplate: Tindade

One of the things I love about @bootstrapcook, is Jack Monroe believes even people on a tight budget should be able to eat well.

When I read Jack’s Tindade recipe in Cooking on a Bootstrap, I guess I did not really understand what it was. For me, it turned out to be a tasty spread for bread chunks or crackers.
 
 
Hotplate: Tindade
(Adapted from: Cooking on a Bootstrap by Jack Monroe)
 
 
Jack’s recipe ingredients were in metric, I converted the measurements to ounces.

300ml milk = 10.14oz
500 grams fish = 17.6oz
330 grams potatoes = 10oz
400g Beans = 14oz

I looked for canned mackerel in 3 different stores but could not find any, so I used 2 cans of salmon. I think I could have added one more can.

Also, I made a lot of changes based on what I had.


Ingredients:

4oz milk
Salt /pepper to taste
1 Tspn Thyme, dry
1 Tspn Parsley
2 Cans Salmon, drained
1 Can potatoes, diced, drained and rinsed
10oz Peruano Refried Beans (white beans)
A Dab Vegetable oil
Lime juice


Process:

In a medium pot, add milk.
Set hot plate on medium low.
Let milk warm up.
Add spices.
Stir well.
Add salmon.
Add potatoes.
Stir mixture well.
Use a spoon to scoop out the beans from the packet and add to pot.
Add oil.
Stir mixture thoroughly.
Let mixture cook on medium-high for 5-10 minutes.
Stir frequently to keep mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Mash the mixture, if you want it creamier.
Pull pot off hot plate.
Add lime juice.
Stir.
Let it cool a bit.
Taste mixture, stir in more s/p and/or herbs, if you’d like.
 
 
Use as a dip or spread with crackers or chunks of bread, or as side dish.

See Jack’s original recipe for recipe tips and his suggestions for how to use the empty leftover cans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.