Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Friday, September 9, 2022

September 2022 Update on Ria Stone Blog

It's been a while since I've made a post on my blog.

When I started "eBooks & More by Ria Stone" blog it was part of my adventure as a self-published author. It evolved as I published four books over nine years. Included in that time frame, Gina's Dream was translated into Spanish and later made into an audio-book.

Along the way, I helped a friend self-publish her cookbook, and edited and published a Smashwords Forum Writers Anthology.

All the while, I was trying to learn how to cook budget recipes and blogged about my experiences in the kitchen.

I peaked out on finding new recipes, I thought I could handle. I settled into a routine of Toast Toppings, Mug meals, and a variety of simple meals.

The whole 'learn to cook' experience was fun. I expanded my healthy meal options, and met many cookbook bloggers and authors I admire like Jack Monroe, Beth Moncel, and Beryl Shereshewsky, who make easy budget recipes for all of us.

I still feel like an alien in the kitchen. After having many disasters, I learned to salvage some of the meals and make do. But, disasters still happen. Each recipe, familiar or new, strikes fear in my heart.

While researching tons of recipes, I dove into various food topics like sustainability and food waste. Plus, I collected several old eCookbooks.

Earlier this year, I reduced my efforts in promoting my published works. When I get back into promotion, it will be more focused. 

I recommend the self-publishing process for anyone who has a viable idea for a book. The process is a learning experience. You will need to learn how to use various software programs and formatting requirements for various eBook and POD publishers, as well as getting ISBN numbers, and listing your book with Bowkers and the copyright office in your country.

Plus, you'll need a web presence. A blog is the easiest way to have a web presence, but for commercial purchases of your work, you need a website.

Don't expect to make money. Most writers don't make a living from their work. Join a terra-firma or online writers group to get a better idea of how published authors manage their work.

I enjoyed meeting lots of people online from all over the world.

I will pop up now and then with a post as I reevaluate where I want my blog to go.

My best to you all.

See you later. 

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.