Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Sunday, August 11, 2019

Tin Can Cook - Warm Potato Salad with Anchovy Mayo


Myself and my nephew, I think, are the only ones in the family who like anchovies.

I was thrilled to see Jack Monroe's (https://cookingonabootstrap.com) recipe featured anchovies.

While at my sister and her husband's house on a recent visit, I tried several of Jack's recipes but I ended up eating them all because they did not appeal to others. I thought they were great.

This recipe took some time to make because it took time to smash, crush, separate, divide and mash the anchovies in the mayo amid many interruptions. I had to put the mixture in the frig, two or three times before I finished "creaming" the anchovies into the mayo.

Also, working in someone else's kitchen, sometimes you have to improvise. At first, the only "lemon" I found was a spice called "Lemon Pepper", so I used that. Then, I found a slice of lime in the frig, and used that, too. So, while my anchovy with mayo sauce was lemon-limey, I thought it came out great.

Again, I show the conversions from metric to ounces and my substitutions.


Tin Can Cook - Warm potato salad with Anchovy Mayo P81


Ingredients:

1 50g can anchovies, drained 1.76oz
I used a 2oz tin of anchovies.

100g mayo 3.527oz
1 Tbspn = .625oz
I used three heaping Tablespoons of mayo.


1 Tbspn lemon juice
I used a generous dose of "Lemon Pepper" and a good squeeze from a slice of lime.

1 500g potatoes, drained, cut in half, 500g = 17.63oz
I used a 14.5oz can of potatoes.



Process:

In a bowl or a medium container with a lid, add anchovies and mayo.
Mash with a fork and stir well.
Add lemon juice or other citrus flavors.
Stir.
Cover and place in frig.

Pour potatoes into saucepan.
Cut potatoes in half.
Add water to cover.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce to simmer.
Simmer 4 minutes to warm all the potatoes.
Remove pan from hotplate, drain potatoes.
Place potatoes in a bowl.
Pour anchovy mayo over potatoes.
Stir gently to coat potatoes.




Serve hot or cold.

Note: I made a lunch from leftovers that included: a fried egg and fruit from breakfast, pork and beans, Jack's Chickpea, Bread and Spinach dish, and a serving of Jack's Warm Potato Salad with Anchovy Mayo.




This recipe could be #GERD-friendly if other flavorings were substituted for the "spicy or acidic" flavorings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.