Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Thursday, September 20, 2018

Ria's Basic Skillet Dish

Ria's Basic Skillet Dish

I wish I knew the history of this recipe. It is one recipe I use more than any other.

This is a catchall dish. I never seem to have the same ingredients when I start to make this dish. So, this dish can have a variety of combinations.

Note: when I first adapted this recipe, I used a propane stovetop. Now, I have an electric hot plate, so the temperatures are different. The hot plate burns hotter at lower settings, so I had to decrease the cooking time.


Ingredients:

2 TBspns olive oil
1 clove garlic, diced*
1 onion, chopped*
3-5 potatoes, sliced
1 squash, cut into chuncks
1 8 oz can mushrooms, drained
1 cup bullion (use chicken or vegetable cube

Oregano
Sea salt or s/p to taste

*To make this recipe GERD-friendly, I do not use onions and garlic anymore, I use a bit of onion powder and garlic powder.

 
Process:


Add oil to skillet. Heat to medium.

Add garlic. Add onions.
Cook garlic and onions until onions are clear.
Add potatoes.

Add bullion and seasonings. Reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes.
Next, add squash and mushrooms.

Simmer an additional 20 minutes.
Check to see if potatoes are done. If not, cook for about 10 more minutes.

Additions: add 1/2 of kielbasa sausage, sliced; or diced cooked chicken, spam, or ham. Cook meat first, then add vegetables.

Options: add one 8 oz can salsa and reduce bullion; add olives or diced bell pepper, or cabbage shredded or cut in wedges.

Substitutions: one jar of artichoke or heart of palm in place of mushrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.