Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Thursday, March 8, 2018

Microwave: Buried Baked Potato

My sister is on Weight Watchers. This has stimulated me to reexamine my eating habits and recipes. I try to follow MyPlate.gov and the American Heart Association guidelines but I think I am missing the mark considerably.

American Heart Association Guidelines (Abbreviated)

Eat an overall healthy dietary pattern that emphasizes:

Limit saturated fat, trans fat, sodium, red meat, sweets and sugar-sweetened beverages. If you choose to eat red meat, compare labels and select the leanest cuts available.One of the diets that fits this pattern is the DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) eating plan. Most healthy eating patterns can be adapted based on calorie requirements and personal and cultural food preferences.

When I look at my recipes and then at My Plate, I see I am falling short on vegetables, fruits and grains.

Now, the recipe below was devised based on what I had on hand but with the idea to bump up the vegetables and proteins.


Microwave: Buried Baked Potato


Ingredients:

1 medium to large white potato
1 dab of butter
1 tspn red beans, canned, drained
1 tspn Salsa
3 bits & pieces mozarella cheese
2 green olives w/pimento, sliced
2 sprinkles of imitation bacon bits
2 dashes red pepper sauce
1 fried egg
S/p to taste


Process:

Wash potato, pierce with a fork.
Place in microwaveable bowl.
Microwave on high for 5-6 minutes. Check, if you can push a fork through, it's done.
Remove.
Slice potato in half.
Mash insides with a fork.
Add butter, beans, salsa, cheese, olives, and bacon bits.
Sprinkle hot sauce about the whole potato.
Top with fried egg.

My new secret ingredient: a few dashes of red pepper sauce.

 See why I called it Buried Baked Potato :-)

This was a surprisingly tasty and filling dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.