Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Monday, January 2, 2017

Feliz Año Nuevo!!! 2017 - Lentil Salad, Pickled Radishes, Simple Sauted Radishes Recipes




Happy New Year, Everyone!!!

Spent New Year's Eve in Mexico with some friends.

After cleaning my space, I dumped the mop water out the front door to clean out the old new year.





For the dinner, I wore white underwear for good health and brought a lentil salad for prosperity (lentils look like tiny coins).

We lit blue, red, yellow, green, orange and white candles for peace, passion, abundance, health, intelligence and clarity.

We made a toast to the New Year and to our good health with sparkling grape juice and said prayers for the meal and the New Year.

After dinner, we walked to the Remate and, a minute before midnight, we ate 12 grapes, each one representing a wish for the New Year as the Christmas Tree flashed its lights and at midnight spelled out Feliz Año Nueveo 2017!!!!

Firecrackers burst all around. Fireworks could be seen in the distance. We blew our whistles, and tossed streamers and confetti!!!






The romantic in me wanted to toss a coin in the Remate Fountain and make a wish, like a scene from the American movie Three Coins in a Fountain set in Italy. But, after tossing a coin in and making a wish, I thought I should get the coin back, so it wouldn't clog the fountain's machinery.









It was a delightful evening with friends and electronic contact with family and friends!!!!

***Wishing Everyone the World Over: Peace, Prosperity, Good Health & Hope. May all your wishes come true***



Lentil Salad Recipe

I think I've found a lentil recipe I can make!

Ingredients:
1 cup dry lentils, rinsed
1/2 palmful thyme, dry, crushed
2 handfuls carrots, shredded
1/4 cup bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup onion, diced
10 sprigs of fresh parsley, torn from stalks and torn again
1 clove garlic, minced
2 capfuls lime juice concentrate
1 TB olive oil
Salt/ground black pepper to taste

  1. Process:
  2. In a medium saucepan add lentils and thyme.
  3. Cover with enough water so there's an inch above lentils.
  4. Bring to boil.
  5. Reduce to simmer uncovered until lentils are tender but not mushy, about 15 to 20 minutes.
  6. Drain lentils.
  7. In serving bowl or covered container add: carrots, pepper, onion, parsley, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
  8. Mix well.
  9. Add lentils.
  10. Mix well.
  11. Cover and store in frig to chill before serving.
Note: my lentils were a bit crunchy because my hot plate is finicky, yes, I have watch the pot to see if it is simmering.

The real test will be my friends tonight because this is a New Years's Eve dish.

It was ok, no raves. While it tasted fresh, it had little flavor.

Note 2: I just added a little bit of table vinegar to some leftover lentil salad and that made all the difference, it brought out all the flavor of the ingredients!!!!





At the grocery store, I don't often buy radishes because they come in a bag of about 20 bulbs.  Normally, I couldn't use all those radishes before many went bad and that would be a waste. But, this time, I had 2 recipes I thought would solve the problem, so then I could have some fresh radishes, then saute some for a side dish and pickle the rest. Goal: No Food Waste.

Pickled Radishes Recipe
Adapted from:

Pickling Solution:
1/2 cup table vinegar? (see note)
4 TBs sugar
1 palmful dry thyme, crushed
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 TB black peppercorns
Mix and stir these together in a large jar with a lid.
Make sure the sugar has dissolved.

Next prepare:
6 medium radishes (cleaned and trimmed).
Slice radishes into thin slices.
1/4 onion, cut into small wedges

Add radish slices and onion wedges to the jar of pickling solution.
Refrig 8 hours

Note: hit a few sags, when the recipe said cover radishes with pickling solution, it didn't say the radishes would float above the liquid, so I added a lot more vinegar. But, I wasn't sure about the sugar to vinegar ratio. I didn't want to add more sugar, so I didn't.

Not knowing how pickled radishes should taste, they tasted fine to me.

Note 2: Just added some pickled radishes to a serving of leftover lentil salad, not bad. But, I ate a black peppercorn, I wouldn't recommend it.




A Simple Sauted Radishes Recipe

6-8 radish bulbs, cleaned, trimmed and cut in half.
a dollop of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste.

After putting the olive oil in a skillet, add the radishes.
Season to taste.
Cook on medium until radishes are brown and semi-soft.
Serve warm.




I added a video of the Christmas Tree but don't know why it won't play. Sorry.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.