Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Welsh Rabbit or Rarebit with Ginger Ale


I call this dish a “romantic” dish. For some reason, I associate Welsh Rarebit with history, mystery and romance. For example, in the TV adaptation of Agatha Christie’s the Tommy and Tuppence mystery, “Finessing the King”, the couple goes to a cafe to get a late night snack. One of the menu choices is Welsh Rarebit which they order.

I think this is an illustration of how television shows and novels affect us.

I like the taste of my Welsh Rarebit but I had to make several variations and substitutions based on what I had on hand.

Most Welsh Rarebit recipes call for butter and beer, I used olive oil and ginger ale.

Also, I was low on milk, so I had to make 2 cups of milk from a dry powder mix.

Then, I had to microwave frozen bread slices for 15 seconds before toasting in a skillet.


Welsh Rabbit or Rarebit with Ginger Ale

2 slices of bread
a dollop of olive oil
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons cup flour
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon mustard, wet
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup ginger ale
2 cups white cheese, sliced and diced
pepper to taste

Add a dollop of olive oil to skillet.
Heat.
Add slices of bread.
Heat bread until toasted.
Flip and toast other side.
Remove.
Set aside.


Add olive oil to skillet.
Heat.
Add flour and seasonings.
Stir.
Add Worcestershire, milk and ginger ale.
Stir.
Cook on medium.
Stir until mixture is melted and combined.
Continue to stir and smash flour lumps for several minutes to make a smooth mixture.
Spread spoonfuls over toast.


Notes:

I used a multi-grain bread. I think it added to the flavor.

The consistency of the hot mixture would also make a good fondue.

After reheating the mixture to make another snack, the mixture had thickened which I liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.