Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Here Are Recipes I Will Never Make Part 1

Since I am not a real cook, I can not "invent" a recipe, so I research recipes to find ones I feel I can afford and attempt.

I do enjoy researching various recipes and love finding unusual recipes.

But, there are some recipes I will never attempt. These are just two of them.

I came across these recipes in an article by Maria Popova on Brainpickings.org.

George Orwell’s Dessert Recipes
(From: George Orwell’s Recipes by Maria Popova at http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2014/01/31/george-orwell-recipes/)

In George Orwell Diaries, he wrote down recipes by Mrs. Searle)

Mrs. Searle’s Fruit Loaf Recipe

1 lb flour
1 egg
4 oz. treacle
4 oz. mixed fruit (or currants)
8 oz. sugar
6 oz. margarine or lard

Cream the sugar and margarine.
Beat the egg and add it.
Add the treacle and then the flour.
Put in greased tins and bake about 1/2 to 3/4 hour in a moderate oven.


Mrs. Searle’s Sponge Cake

5 oz. flour
4 oz. sugar
3 oz. grease (butter best)
 2 eggs
1 teaspoonful baking powder.
Mix as above and bake.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.